Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Fall and The Irony

Today, I was walking back to my car after class and I saw an older Indian woman getting out of a car in the parking lot. I thought to myself, "Why can this older woman get out of a car with ease, while my mom, who barely 52 years old, can't even get even get out of bed by herself."

And just as I thought that, the older Indian woman fell down. She dropped her belongings and lost her shoes. She landed on her hands and knees.

I was shocked. I did not expect that to happen at all. Stupidly, in my shock, I just stood there while the woman's daughter and a stranger helped get her back on her feet. I wish I had helped.

The whole incident was very ironic. But it got me thinking. Why are our bodies built to essentially deteriorate as we get older? I wish no one had to go through that. But I find that almost everyone does. And it's not even that I'm scared myself to go through such a thing. I'm scared for everybody. It's an awful thing to watch someone go through it. And I'm sure it's even more awful to go through it yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment