Sunday, May 27, 2012

My Parent Has/d Cancer

So writing the last blogpost on empathy got me thinking.

I started this blog with the hopes of somehow creating a community for people like me. People who are teenagers/young adults and have a parent with cancer. (I wrote about my initial objective when I started this blog.)

I was so unimpressed with the resources for young adults with a parent who has cancer. (You can see how little information exists on this topic by visiting the National Brain Tumor Society's resource page.)

It's such a difficult thing to deal with, especially at time when you're supposed to be focused on you. On figuring who you are and what you want to do with your life.

I want to create a community of support for teenagers/young adults dealing with this.

I've seen how brilliantly effective the hashtag #btsm (Brain Tumor Social Media) has been on Twitter.

So I've come up with the idea of the hashtag #MPHC (My Parent Has/d Cancer).

Just as #btsm has become a place for people to connect and find support, I dream of #MPHC to become a place for people dealing with a parent who has cancer to find a community of support and, most importantly, of empathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment