Wednesday, June 6, 2012

My Mom's A True Businesswoman

When I was 15, I got a job working for my parents' architecture firm as an office assistant. Both my parents are architects - they actually met at school. My mom's the president of the firm and my dad's the vice-president. That's always how it's been.  (Girl power!)

But I never really knew what it meant that my mom was the boss for about 20 employees. In my mind she was just my mom that nagged me when do my laundry or what-not.

When I started working there, I saw my mom in a whole new light. I watched as she handled everything with skill and grace like she'd been doing it her whole life. She told me once that she had to learn how to become a leader, it didn't come naturally to her. But watching how she worked in the business, it looked like she new exactly what she was doing.

A few weeks into my job there, my mom called for a company meeting. I had never seen her take such command. We were all sitting around a large glass conference table, and all eyes and ears were on her. It was incredible to watch. I wanted to goof off because she was my mom! But everyone else seemed so interested in what she had to say. I had never seem her like that before. My respect for her grew immensely during my time working at her business.

I know I've mentioned this before, but just one month before my mom's diagnosis, her story was published in MARCH Magazine, a magazine focused on women in business. You can read the article about her here.

Also only one month before the diagnosis, my mom submitted a video essay about how her company handled the recession to the New York Times, though it was never published on their blog. Here's the video:





I am so incredibly proud of my mom for all that she has accomplished with her business and her career.

Since the diagnosis, she has become mentally more and more like a child. It's been so sad to watch.

But on Tuesday we had a meeting with all the doctors and nurses at the rehab hospital she's at about where we should go from here. She took her rightful spot at the head of the conference table. One again, all eyes and ears where on her. She spoke with clarity and control. She was a true leader. She was the woman that surprised me 5 years ago at her company's conference room.

It was truly a beautiful sight. She commanded that conference meeting! I'm so incredibly proud of her.

I recently read my mom's bio about herself on her company website:

Noushin S. Murphy, President, CEO, Founder

Noushin Sharif-Murphy
I am a Persian immigrant born and raised in Iran. I have lived in the U.S. since 1978 when I came over to pursue my higher education in Architecture. In 1995 I established Vincent + Murphy, Inc. together with my partner K. Vincent. Since then, our small two person firm has grown to be the twenty person firm it is today.

Acting as the president of this company for over a decade has taught me many attributes. It has taught me patience and how to think clearly so as to determine the direction of the company and set goals to accomplish them. It has taught me that a group of people no matter how well educated and experienced, look to their leader for inspiration and direction. Over the years we have been able to surround ourselves with a group of talented and intelligent people. Our employees are dedicated, hard working, and diligent. Most of them are involved with their outside of work passions and interests that would promote their sense of self. I feel proud of every one of them and their accomplishments and enjoy watching them flourish.

In my personal life I have been blessed with a wonderful family. My husband and I enjoy spending time with our two daughters tremendously. My daughters and I paint together in our free time. We also take dance lessons together. My husband and I enjoy traveling a lot. We hope to do more once the girls are off to college. 





But the part the really caught my attention was the last part:

I hope that this company carries on after me. I hope and trust that eventually the younger group of people we have here are capable to take on the leadership role and carry the torch of VMI without me.

It almost feels as though she knew all of this was going to happen. It so eery to read that. I keep reading it over and over again.

I can't even imagine how my mom's company must be doing with her. My dad barely goes into the office 3 times a week. And my mom's original partner, K. Vincent, had to leave the company a few years ago due to medical issues as well.

Her business that she put everything into, is without a leader. And there's no way my dad could ever fill her shoes. He's a terrible leader. He never even participated in the company boding activities my mom planned!

I have no idea how all of her employees are coping. I just hope that one of them takes over as the leader soon. I cannot watch her business fall apart without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment