Saturday, June 23, 2012

We All Have Stupid Questions

Someone tweeted a blogpost today called "The Things I Wish I was Told when I was Diagnosed with Cancer" By Jeff Tomczek. (You can find it here.)

And while I can't entirely relate to everything he wrote, one of the things on the list really moved me. It says...

The people that love you will be just as scared as you are. Probably more. They will be worrying even when they are smiling. They will assume you are in more pain than you are. They will be thinking about you dying and preparing for life without you.
At this point, my mind started spinning:

"Wait. But I haven't thought about what life will be like when my mom's gone. Oh my god. What will that be like? ..... OH MY GOD."

Then I had a minor freak out.

Once that was over, I continued reading.
They will go through a process that you will never understand just like they will never understand the process you are going through. Let them process. Forgive them when they don’t understand. Exercise patience when you can. Know that those that were built for this will be there when you get to the other side and you will all be able to laugh together again. You’ll cry together too. Then you’ll get to a place where you will just live in the world again together and that is when you know that you have beaten this. 
I think Jeff has really got it figured out. That last sentence really got me. I want to get to that point so bad. Words can't even describe how bad I want that.

I have a stupid question for Jeff, does that happen for everyone? Or do some people never get to that point?



 

No comments:

Post a Comment